Advertisement

AGHORA

topic posted Wed, December 7, 2005 - 2:31 PM by  ஓ miahlikemaya
Share/Save/Bookmark
great book by Robert Svoboda.. very fun reading, it's rare these days i find a book and don't put it down til it's done. but this is one I read this week for the first time. It's written by robert but its the words of his friend-guru-Vimalananda, a very interesting Aghori Nath. There is lots of info in here. if you like to read mystical stories of shape-shifting and special siddhis, here's the book. it's definetly not Advaita vedanta as stated by Vimalananda himself, but im sure none of us care. It's crosses all borders just as mysticism does itself.
posted by:
ஓ miahlikemaya
Seattle
Advertisement
  • om
    om
    offline 52

Re: AGHORA

Fri, December 22, 2006 - 10:57 PM
    hi myah,
    i own the first two books,
    was just re-flipping thru Aghora 2: Kundalini
    a few hours ago!
    you know, those books
    can fall under Advaita,
    cuz even though he does Shaktipat with Demigods
    and Deity worship with his chosen Deity
    Aghora is the most hardcore badazz style of Tantra
    and the basic premise of Tantra is that
    everything is one
    cuz Tantra does not divide
    no duality
    and aghora is the Pinnacle of Tantra
    it is Tantra at it's absolute best
    So Aghora is really Advaita at its deepest level
    Om
  • Re: AGHORA

Sat, December 23, 2006 - 3:24 AM
    Wonderful books, dont forget to check out Aghora Tribe as well :)

tribes.tribe.net/aghora

Jai Smashan Tara

Sat, December 23, 2006 - 10:01 AM
      hehe!

definitely Advaita, but not Vedanta. I like that Vimalanda doesn't like Ghandi. I've never liked Ghandi.

Sat, December 23, 2006 - 10:02 AM
        Vimalananda rather
        • om
          om
          offline 52

Sat, December 23, 2006 - 10:05 AM
          haha, i never liked gandhi either he sucks.
          btw I just joined your aghora tribe Saul, thanks.

Sat, December 23, 2006 - 10:26 AM
            my spelling is awful this morning.

luckily this is my last day of work before the holiday. starting to feel a little erm, out of it.

Sun, December 24, 2006 - 12:20 AM
              it seems alot of people have beef with Ghandi... or maybe they don't. he was a vegetarian
              • om
                om
                offline 52

More Thoughts...

Sun, December 24, 2006 - 8:14 AM
                Aghora is definetely Advaita,
                cuz even though Vimalananda seemingly veers
                from mainstream advaita practicies, essentially,
                Aghora is the most hardcore badazz style of Tantra
                and the basic premise of Tantra is that
                everything is one
                cuz Tantra does not divide
                no duality
                no divisions between good and evil,
                right and wrong,
                sacred and mundane.
                And Aghora is the Pinnacle of Tantra
                it is Tantra at it's absolute best
                So Aghora is really Advaita at its deepest level
                Om
                • Re: More Thoughts...

Tue, August 5, 2008 - 9:40 AM
                  Om,
                  Aghora is great but how can you really say that Aghora is the pinnacle of tantra? that is an assumption. how much do you really know about tantra, there are more then five main branches of Tantra: Shakti tantra, ganapati Tantra, Soarya Tantra, Vaishnava Tantra, Shaiva Tantra, Jain tantra, and Buddhist tantra which has many sub branches -Mahayana, Vajrayana, Bon (pre-Buddhist) then there is Vidya and Avidya tantra among all of these.
                  Most people have very little real practical knowledge about the many branches, practices and Gurus of the vast field of Tantra. So how can one say that this one type is the best or pinnacle? I disagree.
                  besides I have done sweat lodge with Robert Svabodha and met him on a few occasions and I was not really impressed by his spiritual vibration or realization, although he is very knowledgeable and a good person.
                  I know plenty of Avadhutas and Tantrik Acharyas, I have gone to the cemetery with them to do Kapalika Sadhana occasionally, if aghora was the best and highest tantrik path most of them would probably leave and simply live in the cemetery full time but they don't, so I think that it is not the best or highest path of Tantra.

Mon, December 25, 2006 - 9:02 PM
                >>it seems alot of people have beef with Ghandi... or maybe they don't. he was a vegetarian

hah!

actually Gandhi and Mother Teresa (as you probably guessed!) are my hot-button topics because it is almost universally accepted that they were both great and saintly when I am of the "question everything and investigate for yourself!" school pretty hardcore. so basically you say anything bad about either one (or imply that they were less than saintly) and conflict arises.

anyway I don't have enough beef (still chuckling at that one) that I agree he shoulda been offed, that's for sure, but I have a long diatribe about encouraging others to practice nonviolent resistance being a form of violence against them when you put them in a situation where a large number of them are sure to be killed (for example, the slaughter of ethnic Indians with machine guns by the British) as opposed to nonviolent protest where the worst that is going to happen to those involved is a beating (which is still wack, but of an entirely different order). then there's the whole Dalit thing but anyway, you get the picture.

speaking of such matters and differences of opinion it will be interesting to see how things progress in my tribe for Ma, I really DIDN'T mean to jump down your throat, like I said I had just quit smoking because I possibly had a stroke, which is still stressing me out a bit (okay, a lot).

but I figured I would leave that thread intact, because more than one viewpoint was expressed and there was participation as opposed to the old thread which just ended up being me and another person flaming each other and it wasn't worth leaving a big smear all over the front of a tribe devoted to God. Nasty flamewars get deleted unless there's something constructive in them, and proselytizing gets deleted - those are my general guidelines. and anyway I notice that neither you or I have defriended each other, Myah :) sometimes disagreements or even arguments are what make me friends with people in the first place! a lot of the people on my friends list, we started out fighting and ended up respecting each others' opinions. I like that. I think it just shows that people can be passionate and not necessarily agree without it impeding their friendships or exchanges of ideas. one of my best friends votes republican every election year and I'm a crazy gung-ho libertarian. we make it work.

Sun, December 24, 2006 - 11:06 AM
          Definitely Advaita philosophy here,non duality is the core of the subject.
          aham BramhAs Mi.
      • reg
        reg
        offline 0

Tue, August 5, 2008 - 7:07 AM
        Vedanta is Philosophy, Vimalananda differs from Shankara as you can read in the books and does not consider himself a pure advaitan in the way that schoolars/ followers of Adi traditionally interpret the view of Atman and Brahman as being one in the same. Shankara is critisized as being about the words and not about the freedom.
        Vimalanandas view is something that is intuitive and makes sense for humans as an approach towards realisation. For instance, as mother and as protector. The esoteric religious texts have steps up to Shiva but amount to the same tools for transmutation of Karma into moksha. Both are the same depending on yr view of course, what really matters is finding a way to see.

Sat, November 8, 2008 - 11:48 AM
          Shankaracharya always used to preach that this world is an illusion and that everything is illusion except for the absolute Divine reality. One day a water buffalo went wild and started chasing him, the sadhus sitting on the river bank laughed and said "Shankaracharyaji why are you running if that water buffalo is an illusion?" The point is that we live in a practical reality and have to deal with it, this world is not an illusion it is just an ever changing reality, a transient one, where as the divine reality is an absolute one, but this reality is still real, it is just an ever changing one, things are definitely not always as they seem, so in that way it is like an illusion, but his philosophy is defective on that point and I don't like to see people treating there bodies or the earth like crap while preaching that this world is only an illusion.

Sat, November 8, 2008 - 1:55 PM
            Shankaracharya's philosophy is not defective, but the later selective interpretation that has been taken to be his is defective. The story you've told is a fabricated tale created to combat this mistaken interpretation. It would be better if opponents actually read the Archarya's philosophy instead of dishonoring him with such a fanciful story. In the very same work that his famous quote about the world being false and only Brahman being real is found (Vivekachudamani) he also says that the final word of the teaching is that whole world is Brahman. So Shankara was as practical as anyone else any realist. In saying that the world was false, if you take it in light of the collected body of his writings (or at least reading the rest of that one work) and not just isolating that one line, he meant that the world conceptualized as a myriad separate objects and forces is false. It is instead one ever fluctuating reality. It is Brahman. The illusion is that anything that you experiance in day to day life (including a water buffalo chasing you) is not Brahman.

Sat, April 14, 2007 - 11:49 PM
    If you liked that ones i must recomend Whomens of Wisdom.

Sun, April 15, 2007 - 6:21 PM
      by whom, and is the spelling intentional?

what is the subject matter?

Sat, November 8, 2008 - 11:52 AM
        Soul, I agree with you about Gandhi, you know, he once said that India will not be trifurcated unless it is over his dead body, then when the agreement was done and signed any way and India was split into Pakistan, Bangladesh and India, setting into motion hundreds of years of fighting he conveniently took a vow of silence.

Recent topics in "Advaita Tantra"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Love sex,love kiss and love dating! Unsubscribed 0 July 26, 2014
#1 Cougar Dating Site Unsubscribed 0 June 5, 2014
Younger Women Older Men Dating Site Unsubscribed 0 April 23, 2014
Utah Kaula-Tantra Bhavesh 0 April 25, 2012